About this Event
Add to calendar
Studying abroad can be a life-changing experience! The Gilman Scholarship Program provides up to $5,000 (or $8,000 including the Critical Need Language Award) for undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens and Federal Pell Grant recipients.
The October 6, 2020 Deadline application is open for students whose in-person or virtual international programs start between January 1, 2021, to December 31, 2021.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. To be eligible for a Gilman Scholarship, an applicant must be:
- A citizen of the United States;
- An undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States;
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship;
- In the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program or a virtual international program of at least three weeks for students from four-year institutions, eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Multi-country, multi-area, and multi-city programs are eligible and have no minimum requirement on length of time spent in one country, city, or area. The entirety of the program abroad must be at least three weeks (21 days) . There are no maximum or minimum number of countries, cities, or, areas within the required time frame. Travel days do not count toward the minimum day requirement. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
- Applying for credit-bearing study abroad programs in a country or area with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2, according to the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory System
For more information and application support, please contact Cassidy Alvarado, Director of National & International Fellowships at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lions are also invited to the Post COVID-19 Planning: Scholarships for Going Abroad Info Session on September 10.